7/13/19

Pause for Prayer: 7/13

Image source

Andy's* in a hospital
and asked to see a priest
and so I was called,
pleased to help...

Andy's in a locked unit, Lord,
but it’s his thoughts and imagination, 
his anxiety and fears, 
his past and his memories 
that really lock him in
and keep him a prisoner of his own story...

In conversation Andy showed himself to be
a man of faith and hopelessness,
a firm believer filled with doubt,
a pilgrim hungry for holiness,
a penitent in search of peace,
a lonely man in need of someone
to hear him out
and not dismiss him as a fool
or scorn his earnest piety...

I was pleased to oblige, Lord,
to listen to and reverence him
and his unique, personal creed...

We talked about Jesus:
Andy fears Jesus has abandoned him...
I did my best to assure him this wasn’t so
and I encouraged him to pray
over and over, again and again, 
“Jesus, help me know your love,
     Jesus, help me know your love,
          Jesus, help me know your love..."

He promised to pray those words
and I pledged to visit again...

Until then, this is my prayer:
“Help Andy know your love, Lord,
     help Andy know your love and peace,
           help Andy know your love..."

Amen.

*A pseudonym; details modified to preserve anonymity

 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!