7/2/19

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 7/2

Image source

While I was away on vacation
I spent some time with my friend M
who's living with a rare terminal illness...

There are days, many days in a row,
when M's not even up for having someone stop by to visit
and I wasn't even sure I'd get to see him
but then he called to say he was having a good day
and wanted to meet for dinner...

In many ways our getting together was like "old times"
except that I know our times together are numbered,
that the progression of M's illness is outpacing
these momentary rallies on his "better" days...

Sometimes, Lord, I'm fairly certain
that I fear M's passing more than he:
his faith is strong, his trust runs deep,
his acceptance of his circumstances is pure grace...

He worries not for himself, not at all,
but rather for his parents, his caregivers,
and his young niece and nephew who are much too young
to lose someone who loves them as much as M does...

My talks with M never fail to help me, Lord,
no matter how great my desire, my intention, to help him...

Truth is, Lord, I'm afraid of losing my friend,
my friend who's not afraid of dying,
my friend who seems to have no fear at all...

M's faith in you runs deep
and he absolutely trusts that one day
your mercy and love will gather us all together
in the joy of your company
where there will be no more pain, illness or loss
but only your peace
for ever...

Thank you, Lord, for all I see and find in M's faith
and open me to the grace spilling from his heart
into the hearts of all around him...

M is not afraid, Lord,
help me to not be afraid...

M believes that in the end all shall be well,
that all manner of things shall be well...

Give me the courage, Lord,
to share M's faith in you and his hope, his trust,
that all, indeed, shall be well...

Amen.





 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!