4/6/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Monday 4/6


I'm thinking of an old hymn, Lord,
the one that begins, "Day is done..."

Well, another day is done
but I'm having some trouble, Lord,
keeping track of just what day it is!


All the days are blurring into one:
sometimes it seems that only the daily statistics change
- and sadly, not yet in the right direction...

So, help me see even now, Lord,
help me see how every day is a day you've made,
that every day is your gift to me
- like today...

Today, Lord, you broke the weather pattern
and gave me sunlight and warmth
- not bad for a Monday!

And with the blue skies came a chance
to walk out doors in the fresh air
- and I opened my windows to let some in!

And on my walk I found you'd left these on my path
- to brighten my day and quicken my hope in springtime


Thanks, Lord!  I needed those little flowers today,
I needed them to remind me that you made this day,
that you made this day for me!

And if I'm not mistaken, Lord, I heard you today.
I heard you whispering a few words in my heart:
words of encouragement, words of support,
words of strength - and even a word of hope...

And I believe you were the Whisperer, Lord
- I wasn't making that up in my imagination -
and I believe that because those whispered words
brought me a peace I couldn't find for or give myself...

So, just like the old hymn says, "Day is done.."
And that day has a name: Monday,
and April 6 was a day of your making, Lord,
a day you made for me and for all your children:
the sick and the healthy and the dying,
the first responders and care-givers,
family and friends, neighbors and strangers,
and those who stand watch through this night,
in harm's way, keeping vigil for our safety and peace...

Give us all a good night's rest, Lord,
that we wake tomorrow refreshed
and ready to discern and discover
how even in these difficult times
Tuesday will be a day you've made,
a gift for us one and all...

Amen.

Day Is Done:  the Notre Dame Folk Choir


1. Day is done, but love unfailing dwells ever here.
Shadows fall, but hope prevailing, calms ev'ry fear.
Loving Father, none forsaking,
Take our hearts, of love's own making,
Watch our sleeping, guard our waking,
Be always near.

2. Dark descends, but light unending shines through our night;
You are with us, ever lending new strength to sight:
One in love, your truth confessing,
One in hope of heaven's blessing,
May we see, in love's possessing,
Love's endless light!

3. Eyes will close, but you, unsleeping, watch by our side
Death may come, in love's safekeeping still we abide.
God of love, all evil quelling
Sin forgiving, fear dispelling
Stay with us, our hearts indwelling,
This eventide.  

 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!