9/29/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 9/29

 
The crickets sang in the grasses.
They sang the song of summer’s ending,
a sad, monotonous song. 
“Summer is over and gone,” they sang. 
“Over and gone, over and gone. Summer is dying, dying.” 
The crickets felt it was their duty to warn everybody 
that summertime cannot last forever. 
Even on the most beautiful days in the whole year 
— the days when summer is changing into fall — 
the crickets spread the rumor of sadness and change. 
- E.B. White in Charlotte's Web 
Just one day left in September, Lord,
and choirs of crickets remind me each night
that summer's over and gone, over and gone,
that summer's dying, dying, dying...

At the end of a blest day comes the cricket's hymn,
an unwelcome dirge, spoiling the reverie of a sunset crimson-gold 
and a turn in the mood of the breeze,
warm to autumn crisp...

My lips resist the dirge and yet its repetitious chant
beguiles me and draws me in 'til I embrace
- or am embraced - by season's change:
summer's ending, fall's beginning...

Is this the gain in loss, Lord?
Is this the grace in grief?
Is this the joy that I'm to find
in letting go what I can't keep?

Is this the secret in your promise?
The grace we all await?
The message in the crickets' choir,
their simple plaintive prayer?

September's almost gone, Lord,
and since the crickets tell no lies,
the rumor must be true: summer's passed 
and autumn's here...
 
Teach me how to sing, Lord,
in the crickets' choir of praise, 
to join with them in welcoming
a season of your love...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and listening to the crickets
and watch over me through the night
once they've sung me fast asleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
(Tonight's music for prayer is amazing!
The audio has two overlaid tracks: the first is the sound of crickets
and the second is the same sound slowed down by a factor of 800. 
The slowed down sound has a beautiful, haunting choral quality 
- but remember - the only sounds you'll hear are crickets!)  
 




  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!