10/5/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Monday 10/5


As evening comes, Lord, 
I want to thank you for all the times you spoke to me today
- but I missed what you said -
because I was too busy and distracted
or because I was day dreaming, not paying attention
or because I just didn't make time today for prayer,
time to listen for your voice and your word...

And I want to thank you, Lord
for all the times today when you nudged me in the right direction
- but I took a wrong turn nonetheless -
because I wasn't looking for your guidance
or because I thought I didn't need any help
or because I figured my way was better than your way -
and we both know where I end up when I think like that...
 
And I want to thank you, Lord,
for all the times today you invited be to share in your work
- but I didn't lend a hand, I didn't help you out -
because I was too self-absorbed to see my neighbor's need
or because I was just plain lazy and didn't want to get involved
or because I didn't trust you'd help me help
whoever was waiting on me to reach out to them in your name...
 
And I want to thank you, Lord,
for all the times today you showed me something beautiful
- but I walked right on by and didn't stop to look -
because I was all tied up in my own interests
or because I was in too much of a hurry to pause my day
or because I'm so easily attracted by the bright and shiny
and so often miss the glorious, the simple, the exquisite...

So I pray tonight, Lord, that tomorrow:
    - I'll make more time to listen for your word in prayer
    - I'll follow the path where you lead, where you walk by my side
    - I'll get off my butt and reach out to help those you send me in need
    - I'll open my eyes, my mind and heart, to your beauty, all around me

Until tomorrow, then, Lord,
protect me while I lie awake
and watch over me as I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
(When looking for tonight's song, Godspell's Day By Day came to mind but I wanted something more reflective in tone - that's when I came across Victor Johnson's setting of the well known lyrics which, by the way, are attributed to St. Richard of Chichester who died in 1253.) 
 
Day By Day by Victor Johnson



Day by day, day by day, day by day,
O dear Lord, three things I pray:
to see thee more clearly,
love thee more dearly,
follow thee more nearly,
day by day.

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!