10/31/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Saturday 10/31

 
It's Halloween, Lord, but because of the virus 
there won't be as many costumes as usual...
 
May be a good time then,
to think about all the costumes we wear
apart from Halloween, on ordinary days:
all the ways we dress ourselves 
to pretend we're someone we're not
or to hide the persons we are...

Some of our costumes hang in our closets,
the day to day clothing we don:
to make ourselves feel better, more attractive,
to conceal or highlight the shape we're in, 
to show that we're up with the times
or determined to avoid the new fad...

But you, Lord, care little for couture or style,
designer labels or off the rack,
color or cut, old or new, in or out...
 
You look instead to our hearts, Lord, 
and are pleased when you find them naked:
laid bare for you healing touch,
exposed that you might swaddle us
in your love and your compassion...

St. Paul reminds us, Lord:
Clothe ourselves in heartfelt mercy and kindness,
put on the garments of gentleness, humility, and patience...
 
Strip me of my pretense, Lord, of the desire to make believe 
I'm someone I am not:
teach me to be content in being and becoming
the person you created and fashion me to be...
 
Clothe me in peace and outfit me 
for the work that's mine to do
for love of you and of my neighbor:
Robe my heart, Lord, in the raiment of love
and garb me in your grace...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me when I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
(Tonight's song draws its lyrics from Colossians 3:12, the text
from St. Paul referred to in this evening's Night Prayer)  

Because You Are Chosen by John Michael Talbot



Because you are chosen 
Called to be holy 
Because you are the Lord’s beloved  
You must clothe yourself with kindness  
With heartfelt mercy 
In the meekness of humility  
 
So bear you now with one another  
And forgive as the Lord’s forgiven you
Over all these virtues
Bind them all together
In the Love of our Lord Jesus
 
Over all these virtues
Bind them all together
In the Love of our Lord Jesus
Over all these virtues
Bind them all together
In the Love of our Lord Jesus
 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!