12/31/20

NIGHT PRAYER: New Year's Eve


 
It's New Year's Eve, Lord, 
in a year that seems much longer
than any year could be...

But last year's candle's burning low
and soon, at midnight, 'twil be time
to light a new one and to pray 
you'll light a flame of hope
within our hearts, deep in our souls,
where your Spirit's light burns ever bright
and darkness is unknown...
 
I'll be glad to see the old year go
yet grateful, Lord, for all the ways
you helped me move from day to day,
through thick and thin,
through sorrow and joy
to this new year's eve
and the promise of tomorrow...
 
And I remember, too, the times
when somehow I forgot, ignored or missed
that you were right there by my side 
and, foolishly, 
I tried to make it on my own...

And yet you never failed me, Lord,
you never failed to love me,
to pardon and forgive me:
your grace so sweet and pure 
and always freely given...

Today I come with empty hands: 
I haven't much to offer 
and anything I do have 
was first your gift to me...

But there comes a new year now, Lord,
and with it comes my prayer 
that I grow worthy of your love,
more faithful to your word...

In this new year, Lord,
day by day,
make me stronger in my faith,
more trusting of your help...

Nurture in my soul
a hunger for the truth,
a thirst for all that's holy,
a desire for your wisdom...

Help me settle for nothing less
than what you offer, Lord:
to heal my soul, mend my heart,
and guide my steps along your path...

It's New Year's Eve Lord,
in a year that seemed so very new
- not all that long ago...

Wake my heart to a new year, Lord,
to a new day, to tomorrow, to 2021:
to all your grace and gifts
and the promise of your presence,
your healing and your peace...

Amen.

I wasn't able to find a good sung version of this hymn
but it's perfect for this New Year's eve, so here's an 
instrumental version with the lyrics in graphic form -
it's an easy tune - you can sing along! 
 
Day of New Beginnings by Brian Wren


 

 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!