12/30/20

Pause for Prayer: THURSDAY 12/31



A new year begins in just a few hours, Lord,
and I’m thinking about beginning 2021 
as best I can - and with your help…

If there’s one thing I’m sure of - it’s this:
    I can’t count on myself
    to make the changes I need to make.
Only with your help, Lord,
will I change and grow
- only with your help…

You're the Lord of
freely given pardons,
second chances,
clean slates,
fresh starts
and new beginnings
- and I need all of the above
as I begin a new year…

Most of all, Lord:
refresh my hope and restore my trust
that with your help,
I can indeed make a new beginning, 
a fresh start
and that you’ll give me
the opportunity and the help I need
to live as I truly want to live,
to do what I truly want to do,
to love as I truly want to love,
to pray as I truly need to pray…

Don’t let disappointment over past failed efforts
keep me from trusting that with your help
I can accomplish, 
I can realize my heart’s desires
and live in peace,
according to your word…

So, help me make modest resolutions;
let this new beginning be reasonable,
my intentions pure and generous;
my efforts fueled by grace
and my success guaranteed by your grace…

Help me know, Lord, in my heart of hearts,
what you would have me gladly resolve
and follow through on 
in the year that looms ahead...

Sharpen my attention and my focus
on the work I truly need to do
in the twelve months just ahead...

Be Lord of my new year
and help me live it a day at a time,
each day blessedwith your mercy,
your freely given pardon
and all the second chances,
clean slates and fresh starts I need
and that fall so freely
from your heart and hand...

Hear my prayer today, Lord, 
at the end of 2020:
make of the months ahead
a year of grace, a gift from you…
 
You are Alpha and Omega, Lord,
my beginning and my end:
bless and keep me as a new year dawns 
and help me strive, again,
to walk in your light,
in your love and in  your peace...

Amen.

 

 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!