1/18/21

NIGHT PRAYER: MLK Day 1/18

 
For more than seven decades, Lord,
I've lived a life of privilege and promise,
of promises kept and kept secure
by a nation, a Church and a culture
that taught me in oh so many ways
that I somehow deserved, was owed,
had merited all the gifts
that came my way and filled my lap...

For more than seven decades, Lord,
I've walked the streets as a tall, white male,
being careful, yes, of routes I took but,
by and large, feeling free to walk
wherever I had a mind to go, day or night,
with friends or all alone...
 
For more than seven decades, Lord,
I've trusted that the world around me
was ready to welcome me, understand me,
help me, encourage me, forgive me,
reward me and tell me in so many ways,
"You're good, you're fine, you're one of us..."
 
So, it's only from the outside, Lord,
that I observe the life of my sisters and brothers,
your daughters and sons, who are, every day,
identified, classified and marginalized 
simply because of their color, deeper and richer 
than any on the pale canvass 
where my own life is painted...
 
For more than seven decades, Lord, 
I was raised and taught not to be racist
but now I'm learning, I'm beginning to see
- that's not enough...

If it's not too late, Lord, 
and I don't believe it ever is,
help me become anti-racist:
   to act where I've been passive;
   to do what I say I believe;
   to go where I've not yet been;
   to read beyond my usual shelf;
   to listen to music I've never sung;
   to Google where I haven't surfed;
   to come to know the brothers and sisters
      I say I love but have never met...
 
Help me understand, Lord,
that racism is a sin,
that anti-racism is a virtue,
that for a Christian, 
just avoiding sin is not enough,
we're called, each of us, 
to a live a virtuous life...

Help me not only to see the problem
   but to become part of the resolution;
help me work for the very change 
   I pray and vote for;
and change me, Lord, from deep within,
   from the inside out, in mind and heart,
change me and how I see the world you've made
   and how I love the family I belong to,
      the household of your love...

Protect and watch over us all, Lord,
brothers and sisters, one in love,
that awake we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing
 

 

 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!