1/7/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 1/7

Our vision is seriously impaired, Lord...

We are near-sighted,
   focused on what's at hand,
   failing to see the larger picture...

With minds clouded by fear and doubt
   we fail to see clearly, we miss boundaries,
   we trip over our own feet...
 
We are color blind, we fail to see
   the shades, the depths of beauty
   in all of color's hues and tones...

We turn away from, we ignore, we deny
   we blind ourselves to difference and diversity,
   to new ideas and other points of view...

We close our eyes to truth staring us in the face,
   to wisdom's unrelenting glow, and to you, Lord:
   the light no darkness can overcome...
 
I'm frightened, Lord, by riots and violence
but more frightened by our vision 
so seriously impaired... 

As the saying goes:
  there are none so blind
   as those who will not see...
 
If we cannot see, Lord,
if we do not see clearly,
if we refuse to seek and see the truth
if we close our eyes to your light
- then we doom ourselves
   to a darkness that will consume us...

Open our eyes that we might see, Lord:
open our eyes to peer 
   into the depths of your wisdom and truth; 
open our eyes to see beyond
   our own needs and desires;
open our eyes to see you 
   in the face of every sister and brother;
sharpen our vision
   to help us see as you see;
clear our vision 
    of all our doubts and fears;
correct our vision
   when we refuse to accept what's in plain sight;
help us see the depth and beauty of all colors:
   black, white, red, yellow, blue, 
      orange, green and violet;
open our eyes , Lord, to see the light of your glory
   around us, among us and within us...

Protect us, Lord, 
   in the dark of night and in the light of day
that awake, we might keep watch for you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

Be Thou My Vision performed by The Martins

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart
naught be all else to me, save that thou art
Thou my best thought by day or by night
waking or sleeping, thy presence my light
 
Be thou my vision and thou my true word
I ever with thee and thou with me Lord
Thou and thou only, first in my heart
great God of heaven, my treasure thou art
 
Great God of heaven, my victory won,
may I reach heaven's joys, O bright heaven's Son
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall
still be my vision, O Ruler of all
still be my vision, O Ruler of all

 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!