2/5/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 2/5

I'm thinking back to autumn, Lord,
and scolding you for robbing me of daylight
in your own stealthy, incremental way
hoping, perhaps, I might not notice
how your playing with the solar system alters
my mood and frame of mind
each fall...

But now comes time to praise you
for the slow and steady way you have
of lengthening my days, 
surprising me with brightness
- like a deer caught in your daylight -
at 4:30 in the afternoon!

Before sending us spinning 'round the sun
you set the earth at a jaunty angle, Lord,
and so we live these seasons 
of longer and shorter days, shorter and longer nights 
until light triumphs every spring and once again
your favor dawns upon us...

My own imperfect angles 
yield sunshine and shadows, Lord:
times of sin and seasons of grace within my heart
but your light always triumphs, rising in my soul,
in victory every dawn, with mercy in your peace....

So, now, Lord,
as the sun lengthens every day
let your light grow strong within me
and in your own stealthy, incremental way,
catch me by surprise with grace
and let your favor dawn upon me...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me through the night
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
(Tonight's music is an instrumental piece by Coldplay.  As you listen, ponder the stealthy, incremental ways the Lord is moving in your life, night and day, in season and out of season...) 
 

Sunrise by Coldplay
 

 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!