2/15/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Monday 2/15


It's almost Lent and that brings to mind
some well-known words and phrases, Lord:
    prayer
    fasting
    giving something up for Lent
    caring for the poor
    what am I going to do for Lent?

I wonder if I need to turn some of those around, Lord...

Instead of saying more prayers to you this Lent,
maybe what I really need to do is learn to keep quiet,
to spend more time in silence, 
mindful of your presence,
listening for what you have to say to me and,
until I hear something, 
learning to be at peace in the silence
by your side...
 
In addition to fasting from some food or beverage,
maybe I need to fast from my stubbornness, 
my quick temper, my snap judgments, 
my subtle and not so subtle prejudice,
my resistance to change...
 
In addition to giving something up for Lent,
what do I need to add to my life this year?
    patience with someone who really bugs me?
    ears truly open to what others are saying?
    openness to changing some of my ways?
    compassion for people I see every day?

And caring for the poor this Lent:
do I need to change my heart, 
    my attitude about the poor?
as helpful as writing a check may be,
   is there a way to become more personally involved?
when I give to the poor, have I ever given so much
   that I went without as a consequence?
I know I have more than I need, Lord -
   how will I share what I have in excess?
 
What am I going to do for Lent this year?
There's a better question for me to ponder, Lord:
   What are you going to do for me this Lent?
How will you move in my life this Lent? 
What changes in me might you want to make?
What gifts have you to offer me 
  that I might better love and serve you?
What do you want to do for me in my prayer?
What will you say to me? share with me?
What are you going to do in my life this Lent, Lord?
 
As Ash Wednesday approaches, Lord,
send your Spirit to open me up and help me
grow and flourish in my faith
as I make my way as a sinner,
walking the way of the Cross, 
making my way to Easter joy...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen. 
 
Hosea: Come Back to Me by Gregory Norbet
 

      
Come back to me with all your heart
Don't let fear keep us apart
Trees do bend though straight and tall
So must we to others' call
 
Long have I waited for
Your coming home to me
And living deeply our new life
 
The wilderness will lead you
To the place where I will speak
Integrity and justice
With tenderness
You shall know.
 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!