2/11/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 2/11


I pray every night, Lord, that you'll 
   "protect me as I stay awake 
   and watch over me while I sleep..."

Been thinking a lot 
about the second part of that prayer, Lord,
the part where I'm asleep,
    tossing, turning, snoring, dreaming
and you're wide awake, 
    keeping an eye on me, 
    watching over me,
    gently cradling my cares and concerns, 
    holding me in the palm of your hand,
    never nodding off, 
    ever alert, ever vigilant,
    all through the night...

Only you know, Lord,
how much of your love comes my way
when I'm dead to the world
but alive to your grace
no matter how deep my sleep might be...

Around the clock you're there for me,
    protecting me while I lie awake,
    safeguarding me while I sleep,
       all through the night 'til a new day dawns
       and we begin all over again...

And all this - not just for me, Lord:
    you watch over us, one and all!

So I pray for those I love,
the ones I worry about every night
whose names, whose cares and concerns
are etched in my heart and fill my thoughts,
keeping me awake, tossing and turning for hours:
bless them, Lord - and me -
with deep, restful sleep, under your watchful eye...

And, Lord, I pray for those
who have no one to pray for them:
protect them in your mercy,
watch over them in your love...

Remind me, Lord:
   how you cradle us all  
      in the warmth of your heart; 
   how you hold us all
      in the palm of your hand; 
   how you gather us up 
      in your loving embrace; 
   keeping watch over us 
      through the deep shades of night...

Protect us, Lord, as we stay awake
and watch over us as we sleep,
that awake, we may keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen. 

Protect Us, Lord by Angele




  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!