3/27/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Saturday 3.27

It's the eve of the week we call holy, Lord,
and as I pray tonight I'm wondering:
what you might have in store for me 
over the next seven days...

How will you nudge me to pray this week,
especially on Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter?

What will you stir in my heart this week
as I listen to the scriptures tell the story of creation?
the story of your love for your chosen people, Israel? 
the wisdom of your prophets and the longing of the psalms?
How will you stir my heart when I hear
on Palm Sunday and on Good Friday,
the story of your suffering and death?

When I hear how, at your last supper with your friends,
you knelt before them and washed their feet,
how will you move my heart to want to serve others
in my family? in my neighborhood? among the poor?
 
Your companion, Judas, betrayed you, Lord:
how will his story lead me to repentance
for the ways that I've betrayed you
in thought, word and deed?
How will you strengthen me on Good Friday, Lord,
to carry my own cross with a generous spirit
as I reflect on you carrying your Cross
for the forgiveness of my sins?
 
While the church waits at your tomb on Saturday, Lord,
will I trust that you wait by my side with me
every day, every night, for the whole of my life,
in good times and in bad? 
Will I, in my waiting, trust
that even when I cannot find you,
I have faith that you will rise,
that you will come again,
that you will bring me your peace?

And how, on Easter, 
how will your Spirit stir in me, Lord?
Will I welcome your rising in my life?
in my distress? in my problems, in my trials?
Will I look for signs of your new life 
in my confusion? in my grief? in my sadness?
Will I come out of my own tomb
to follow where you lead me
in faith, in hope, in peace?

Open my mind and my heart, Lord,
open my eyes and my ears,
open my imagination and my soul
to all you have in store for me this week, Lord,
this week that we call holy...

Protect me, Lord, as I lie awake
and watch over me when I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

(A beuatiful song, based on John's gospel,
summing up the whole message of Holy Week...)
 
 There Is No Greater Love by Michael Joncas


There is no greater love, says the Lord, 
than to lay down your life for a friend;
there is no greater love, no greater love, 
than to lay down your life for a friend.

1) As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you. 
Live on in my love.
You will live in my love if you keep my commands, 
even as I have kept my Father's.

2) All this I tell you that my joy may be yours
and your joy may be complete.
Love one another as I have loved you:
This is my command.

3)You are my friends if you keep my commands;
no longer slaves but friends to me.
All I heard from my Father, I have made known to you: 
Now I call you friends.

4) It was not you who chose me, it was I who chose you, 
chose you to go forth and bear fruit.
Your fruit must endure, so you will receive 
all you ask the Father in my name.

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!