3/28/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 3/28

    Image: Gwen Meharg



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
Tonight's prayer is rooted in the second scripture
   from today's mass for Palm Sunday...
  
Christ Jesus, though he was in the form of God, 
   did not regard equality with God
   something to be grasped.
Rather, he emptied himself,
    taking the form of a slave,
    coming in human likeness
and found human in appearance,
    he humbled himself,
    becoming obedient to the point of death,
    even death on a cross...
 
I come in prayer tonight, Lord,
    with a heart needing to be emptied,
    a heart needing to be filled...

You showed us the way, Lord:
   you humbled yourself to the Father's will
      you emptied yourself,
and now you invite us 
   to humble and empty ourselves
       in the same way...

I don't always find it easy, Lord, 
   to empty myself of things I want to collect,
      to keep, to hoard and hold on to...
 
Nor do I find it easy to let go:
   to let go the burdens I've befriended,
   the burdens I cling to for security,
   burdens that have become part of my identity...

Teach my heart to know, Lord,
    what to keep and what to lose,
    what to hold on to and what to let go of,
    what to treasure and what to throw away...

As I let go of what I don't need
    fill my heart with a hunger and thirst
    for what truly nourishes and satisfies me,
    what strengthens me in my faith and hope...

Give me joy in letting go, Lord,
    and peace in being filled with you,
    with your Word, your grace and your love...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I lie awake
and watch over me, while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
These Alone Are Enough by Dan Schutte
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 
Take my heart, O Lord, take my hopes and dreams.
Take my mind with all its plans and schemes.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.

Take my thoughts, Oh Lord, and my memory.
Take my tears, my joys, my liberty.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.

I surrender, Lord, all I have and hold.
I return to you your gifts untold.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.

When the darkness falls on my final days,
take the very breath that sang your praise.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me. 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!