4/6/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 4/6

(Because it fell in the middle of the Triduum, I missed and failed to note the first anniversary of Night Prayer on my page.  A friend and faithful reader had been encouraging me for some time to bookend my daily Pause for Prayer with an evening counterpart but I'd been concerned about facing two posting deadlines seven days a week.  The pandemic lock down, however,  changed everyone's schedule including my own, and I took that window of opportunity to begin what has become a widely and warmly received addition to my blog.  I'm grateful for my friend's initial encouragement in this direction especially because these daily posts help focus my own time and attention in a prayerful direction - and we all need that kind of help!  As an anniversary observance, I'm reposting the first Night Prayer.  (The verse, "Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake..." didn't become the standard ending until about two months into Night Prayer's history.)


Night and day you watch over me, Lord:
with your strong arm and your gentle touch
you hold me and care for me as your child,
your own, your beloved...

Make me grateful for the day I've had, Lord,
with all its ups and downs, its joys and sorrows,
and forgive the ways I may have failed
to be loving, honest and helpful... 

Help me fall asleep, Lord,
trusting I'll find you at the foot of my bed,
when the morning light awakens me...

Bless my night with good rest, Lord,
and fill my dreams with peace...

Comfort those who are restless tonight,
worried and afraid for themselves
and for the ones they love and care for...

Stand guard with all who serve and protect us, Lord,
at home and abroad,
and especially those in harm's way tonight...

Be with those who staff our hospitals,
our nursing homes and care facilities
and comfort the elderly, the sick and the dying,
for whom they care...

As a mother tucks her child in bed, Lord,
tuck in all of us, around the world,
warm and snug 'neath a blanket of your love...

Give me good rest through this night, Lord,
so I'll rise in the morning refreshed
and ready to live by the truth of your word,
in your peace and in your love...

Amen.


The Prayer    

 


Celine:  I pray you'll be our eyes and watch us where we go
And help us to be wise, in times when we don't know.
Let this be our prayer, when we lose our way
Lead us to a place, guide us with your grace
To a place where we'll be safe. 

Andrea: The light that you give us 
Celine: I pray we'll find your light 
Andrea: And hold it in our hearts 
Celine: And hold it in our hearts 
Andrea: Reminding us 
Celine: When stars go out each night 
Andrea: That in my prayer you are the everlasting star 
Celine: Let this be our prayer 
Andrea: There's so much faith 
Celine: When shadows fill our day 
Andrea: Lead us to a place 
Celine: Guide us with your grace 
Celine & Andrea: Give us faith so we'll be safe
We dream of a world with no more violence
A world of justice and hope
Grasp your neighbor’s hand
As a symbol of peace and brotherhood 

Andrea: The strength that you give us 
Celine: We ask that life be kind 
Andrea: Is the wish 
Celine: And watch us from above 
Andrea: That everyone may find love 
Celine: We hope each soul will find 
Andrea: In and around himself 
Celine: Another soul to love 
Celine & Andrea: Let this be our prayer 
Celine: Let this be our prayer 
Andrea: Just like every child 
Celine: Just like every child 

Celine & Andrea: Need to find a place
guide us with your grace
Give us faith so we'll be safe
And the faith that you've lit inside us
I feel will save us.


 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!