5/24/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Monday 5/24

 
Over the past week or so, now and again,
I was sure I caught a trace of lilac
wafting through my rooms
- and this a mystery,
for there are no lilacs to be found
in the yard below my windows...
 
But Saturday morning, just before a funeral,
needing a sprig to bless the casket with holy water,
I went out to cut some arbor vitae
poking through a neighbor's fence
- and there I found them: three small lilacs,
crouched close to the ground, 
quietly, secretly, blessing a faint breeze
with spring's  unique and perfect scent...
 
    Photo by CP

 
You've been teasing me, Lord, these past few days,
with perfumed hints, floating up across the yard,
lifting memories, sweet bouquets:
   Mémère's front porch at 11 Odell,
   framed by lilacs' leafy branches 
   spiking thryses formed of tiny flowers,
   fragrant with the season's joy
   and promises of summer...

All this in a trace of lilac, Lord,
just a hint of your love's mystery,
wafting through my windows...

For all the many ways you bless me, Lord,
I give you thanks and praise...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me when I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch for you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen. 

My Heavenly Father Loves Me by Clara McMaster
 

 
Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by a lilac tree
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heavenly Father created for me
  

He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart
I thank him reverently
For all his creations of which I'm a part

Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me


  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!