5/5/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 5/5


Every time I go online these days,
I'm flooded with messages about Mother's Day
and every single one reminds me, Lord
that my mother's no longer with me
because she's with you now in heaven...
 
It was 30 years ago that Ruth,
my mom and your daughter, Lord,
passed from this life to life with you forever
and yet I still have the impulse to write a card,
to buy her a gift, to send her flowers,
to be with her,
on the second Sunday in May...

The Mothers Day ads are bittersweet, Lord:
reminding me of the wonderful woman
   who birthed me, loved me and raised me;
and reminding me that she's gone,
   and that world's a different place in her absence...

So, tonight I pray for all of us
whose mothers you've called home, Lord,
and especially for sons and daughters
whose loss and grief are recent, fresh
and so more keen and deeply felt...

Recall, renew and refresh 
our best maternal memories, Lord,
and with your grace and mercy,
heal those with memories hard to bear...

Console us in our faith that one day
we shall see our mothers again and enjoy their love
when your mercy gathers us together again
in the joy of your kingdom...

Protect us, Lord, while we're awake
and watch over us when we fall asleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
(Tonight's song is a hymn to Mary, Mother of Jesus
and of all of us, his sisters and brothers...) 
 
 

 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!