6/28/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Monday 6/28

 
 
Here's what I'm pondering as this day ends, Lord:
    let's see if I've got things straight...
 
1) You're everywhere, 
        you're always at my side,
            you never forget or abandon me...
 
2) You always call me 
        to do what's just, to love what's good
            and to walk humbly at your side...
 
3)  You know that's often difficult
        so you offer me the grace and help
            to follow where you lead...

4)  I often pray for just that grace,
        the help I need,
            to do the next right thing...
 
So how come I still screw up so often? 
 
How come I repeatedly forget 
    that you're right beside me?
How come I so often end up doing what I prefer and choose
    when I know exactly what it is 
        that you'd have me do?
 
In other words:
    how come I mess up,
    how come I sin,
    how come I get it all wrong,
- when I really do know better
    and you're right there to help me?

I know the fault is mine, Lord,
    I know it isn't yours...
 
I've got a thousand excuses
    for why I fail
but not a single reason
    for ignoring your Spirit's wisdom
        staring me right in my face...

So, tonight I pray, Lord: 
    anticipate my foolishness;
   bless my thoughts with wisdom
        - even before I think them;
    and shape my deeds and words in love
        before I make a move or open my lips...

I pray you'll give me the grace, Lord,
    to act on the grace you give me
        when I'm most in need of your grace...
 
I pray you'll help me, Lord:
    to do what's good,
    to love what's just
    and to walk humbly
        right by your side...
 
Give me only your love and your grace, Lord,
    that's enough for me,
only your love and your grace,
    that's more than enough for me...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me as I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
    
Take, Lord, Receive by John Foley, SJ
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!

 

1. Take, Lord, receive all my liberty, 
My memory, understanding, my entire will. 
 
Give me only your love and your grace,
that's enough for me. 
Your love and your grace, 
are enough for me. 
 
2. Take, Lord, receive all I have and possess. 
You have given all to me, now I return it. 
 
 3. Take, Lord, receive, all is yours now. 
Dispose of it, wholly according to your will.

 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!