6/22/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 6/22

 
Tonight's my annual get-together
with my ordination classmates, Lord:
Eight of us will be there - and you'll make 9....

It was 48 years ago we were ordained
and most of us were together in seminary
for 8 years before that 
- so this is a night for memories...

So many memories, Lord,
and all kinds of memories:
joyful, sorrowful, glorious and luminous...
 
Memories overflowing with faith, hope and love,
with the joy of time spent with parish, family and friends,
in seasons of peace, contentment and plenty...

And memories laden with sorrow and sadness,
burdened with grief, with sickness and pain,
heavy with heartbreak, disappointment, defeat...

Memories made glorious by the power of grace,
the victory of love, the gift of your mercy,
the reach of your arm, your healing touch...
 
And memories aglow with the light of your presence,
the grace of your Spirit, your infinite mystery,
the depths of your holiness, the wisdom of your word...

As in the mysteries of the Rosary, 
you sweet Jesus
are the heart of my memories, one and all:
joyful, sorrowful, glorious and luminous...

Open my heart to remember the joys,
heal my soul of its hurt and wounds,
deepen my thanks for the gift of your glory,
and shine with your light on the path ahead
where memories are waiting,
yet to be made, to be treasured and kept...
 
Protect me, Lord, as I lie awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen. 

Tonight's song is not of the usual kind: it's not a
hymn or a psalm - it's a love song.  Still, it seems 
to me that all our memories are born of love, or 
our failure to love, or our desire to be loved.  And
since God is love, "The Way We Were" is tonight's
musical reflection...
 
The Way We Were by Bergman/Hamlisch 
 

Memories
Light the corners of my mind
Misty watercolor memories
Of the way we were
 
Scattered pictures
Of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were
 
Can it be that it was all so simple then?
Or has time re-written every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me, would we?
Could we?
 
Memories
May be beautiful and yet
What's too painful to remember
We simply to choose to forget
 
So it's the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember
The way we were
The way we were

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!