6/9/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 6/9

 
Just discovered a few days ago, Lord,
that the trains are stopping at Waverly again,
just down the street from where I live
- so I took myself into Boston
for a good long walk through city
for the first time in over a year!

I love the short train ride, 
loved seeing the progress on North Station's development,
and loved walking down Canal Street 
towards Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market
and then up the 50 steps at Government Center
toward the Common, the State House and the Public Gardens
and then back through Downtown Crossing...

Four miles of walking around, 
heading anywhere with nowhere to go,
watching people watching people:
the freest I've felt since March 2020...

Sat on the Common for a while,
cooling off in a shady spot,
working on my homily for Sunday,  
and grateful for something as simple,
as welcome, as natural, as normal
as a walk through the city on a summer's day...
 
I pray tonight, Lord, that others find
simple, graced moments in their own lives:
opportunities to reclaim what's been denied
to refresh what's been on hold,
to indulge once more in simple joys 
restoring faith and trust in you, in life
and in tomorrow...

Protect us, Lord, while we're awake
and watch over us as we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
Simple Song from Leonard Bernstein's Mass


Sing God a simple song: Lauda, Laudē *
Make it up as you go along: Lauda, Laudē
Sing like you like to sing.
God loves all simple things,
For God is the simplest of all,
For God is the simplest of all.

I will sing the Lord a new song
To praise Him, to bless Him, to bless the Lord.
I will sing His praises while I live
All of my days.

Blessed is the man who loves the Lord,
Blessed is the man who praises Him.
Lauda, Lauda, Laudē
And walks in His ways.

I will lift up my eyes
To the hills from whence comes my help.
I will lift up my voice to the Lord
Singing Lauda, Laudē.

For the Lord is my shade,
Is the shade upon my right hand,
And the sun shall not smite me by day
Nor the moon by night.

Blessed is the man who loves the Lord,
Lauda, Lauda, Laudē,
And walks in His ways.
Lauda, Lauda, Laudē,
Lauda, Lauda di da di day. 
All of my days.

* Lauda, Laudē = praise!

 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!