7/30/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 7/29


Driving down Mill Street today, I was taking in
- and taken by - a thousand shades of green 
in trees and bushes loosely lined 
along the road's soft shoulders...
 
And I wondered if the trees recall what happened 
just last year and all the years before:
how summer slips away as fall sneaks in 
and slowly strips their branches bare
exposing them for all to see, naked,
before the winter's frost... 

If trees remember seasons, Lord, then clearly
they live in the moment, in every gentle breeze 
rustling in their leafy boughs,  through thunder storms 
and high winds  bent on breaking branches 
dropped like match sticks, scattered on the ground...

If trees remember seasons, Lord, they keep it in today:
they neither wince nor flinch 
at what has been or what may come 
but stand, resolute and strong, firm
in the present, in the moment, in the now 
that is the only time you know, the very time 
where you meet us and we, by grace, 
meet you...

I'm not as tough as trees, Lord,
I bend and break to memory's pain,
I cower and bow to worry's fears,
I'm blown about, I'm scattered, swept away, 
I lose my place, my footing in the moment, 
in today, in the present, in the now
where you meet me in time
and I, in time, meet you should I,
if I, when I surrender
to your grace...

I'd love to be a maple, Lord, 
a mighty oak, an elm - or a sequoia
but such as these grow greater, stronger,
older and wiser than what my future holds
so here's my prayer this evening, Lord:
    make of me an evergreen,
    a pine, a spruce, a fir tree fit
    for every season, all year 'round,
    perpetual, perennial, 
    graced by what's eternal,
    ever present in the moment
    when you meet me
    and I, in time, meet you,
    evergreen...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen. 

(If the video below doesn't appear, click here!)
    
Hold On To Me by Lauren Daigle
 
 

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!