7/31/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Saturday 7/31

 
(As I mentioned this morning, today is the feast of Saint Ignatius.  This Night Prayer is inspired by his words, the lyrics for this evening's song: Take, Lord, Receive.)
 
 
I pray tonight, Lord,
    from a heart that needs to be emptied,
    from a heart that needs to be filled...

You showed me the way, Lord:
   you humbled yourself to your Father's will
      you emptied yourself,
and now you invite me
   to humble and empty myself
       in the same way...

I don't find it easy, Lord, 
   to empty myself of the very things 
I want to collect, to keep, 
   to hoard and hold on to...
 
Nor do I find it easy to let go:
   to let go the burdens I've befriended,
   the burdens I cling to for security,
   the burdens I lean on for my identity...

Teach me, Lord, to discern:
    what to keep and what to lose;
    what to hold on to and what to let go of;
    what to treasure and what to throw away...

And as I let go what I don't need, Lord,
    then fill my heart with a hunger and thirst
    for what truly nourishes and satisfies,
    what strengthens my faith, my hope, my love...

Give me joy in letting go, Lord,
    and peace in being filled with you
    and with your Word, your grace, your peace...
 
Empty my heart and fill my heart
    until my heart is filled, Lord,
      until my heart is filled with you...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I lie awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.

(If the music widget below does not appear, click here!)

 Take, Lord, Receive by John Foley S.J.

Take, Lord, receive all my liberty, 
my memory, understanding, my entire will.

Give me only your love and your grace: 
that's enough for me.
Your love and your grace are enough for me.

Take, Lord, receive all I have and possess,
You have given all to me, now I return it.

Take, Lord, receive, all is yours now;
Dispose of it, wholly according to your will.  



  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!