8/1/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 8/1


There are lots of reasons to want to go on vacation, Lord:
    to get away from work, to get away from it all,
    to get away from the busyness, the fast pace,
    the day- to-day same-old same-old...

I look forward to all of that on vacation
    but I'd like some time away from other things, too,
and I wouldn't have to travel an inch
    for a vacation like this...

I'd like a vacation from bad news, Lord,
    especially reports of conflict and war,
    of hunger and homelessness,
    of prejudice, violence and hate...
 
I'd like a vacation from politics' vapid rhetoric:
    all the empty promises and false hopes,
    the doublespeak and the downright lies
        - on both sides of the aisle, Lord...
 
I'd like a vacation from scandal in the church,
    from stories of innocence abused and stolen,
    from coverups protecting the institution,
    from trust violated, vows broken,
    grace cheapened and the gospel betrayed...

I'd like a vacation from trivial details,
the crazy foolishness that robs me of time
for thinking, musing, reflecting and praying,
imagining, resting and spending time
with the people I most love to spend time with...

I'd like a vacation from anything at all
that keeps me from spending time with you, 
from drawing closer to you, Lord,
from growing stronger in your love and grace
from being more faithful to you and your word...

I'd like a vacation from all the stuff, Lord,
that means so little but nonetheless
fills my days and nights with distractions, 
anxieties, worries and fears...
 
I'd like a vacation from my own self-importance,
my self-indulgence and self-deception,
my self-pity  and selfishness,  
my self-interest and self-regard...

I'd like a vacation, Lord, where I might let go
what burdens and shackles my mind and thoughts,
what confuses and stunts my growing wise,
what obstructs and impedes the path of my heart's desire...

I'd like to vacation, Lord, with you as companion,
your wisdom my map
your word as my guide,
and your love my refreshment along the way...
 
I don't have to go very far, Lord,
to take a vacation like this
so help me find the time and a place,
wherever I am, to share with you this summer,
where your peace is my sunshine and shade,
where your grace is my rest and reward...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
Amen.
 
(If the video below doesn't appear, click here!)

In His Time by Diane Ball
 


  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!