4/15/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Good Friday 2022


The scriptures don't report his name so we've given him one: Dismas. We call him the "good thief."  Crucified with Jesus he asked the Lord to remember him  and thus has the distinction of being the last person to speak with Jesus before the Lord died.  As Good Friday comes to a close, what words might you and I speak to Jesus? Will we ask him, in his mercy, to remember us?

     Click on the image for a larger view; image source

Dismas was the last to speak with you, Lord,
but now you have risen and you are always listening
    for my voice, my prayer, my cry, 
    my plea for your mercy
    and my hope that you will remember
    and never forget me...
 
Hear me this night, Lord,
hear the prayer that shouts, cries and whispers
from my heart, 
my hurt,
my hope... 

Remember me this night, Lord,
for now you've come into your kingdom
and I long to know the peace I know
you long to share with me...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 
Tonight, two musical possibilities: first, the very words of the good thief and second,  a rather contemporary rendering of a classic hymn for this day...
 
Jesus, Remember Me by Taize
  

 
Were You There by The Vigil Project
 
If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!