4/14/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Holy Thursday 2022


 
Having shared his last supper with his friends, Jesus took them out to the Garden of Gethsemane to pray by the light of the Passover moon...
 
Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane,
and he said to his disciples, “Sit here, while I go over there and pray.”
And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee,
he began to be sorrowful and troubled.
Then he said to them,
“My soul is sorrowful, even to death; remain here and watch with me.”
And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying,
“My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me;
nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”
And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping.
And he said to Peter, “So, could you not watch with me one hour?
Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation.
The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed,
“My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done.”
And again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy.
So, leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time,
saying the same words again.
Then he came to the disciples and said to them,
“Sleep and take your rest later on.
See, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man
is betrayed into the hands of sinners.
Rise, let us be going; see, my betrayer is at hand.” 
- Matthew 26:36-56
 
                                            Photo by Vedad Colic

Do not go into the garden, oh Jesus,
do not go into the garden before dawn!
But if I do not go into the garden in the dead of night,
who will lead you to the sunrise of Paradise?
I will go into the garden in the dead of night.
 
 
Do not let them bind your hands, oh Jesus,
do not let them bind your hands without a word!
If I do not let them bind my hands like a thief,
who will break open the prisons
in which you languish?

I will let them bind my hands like a thief.
 
Do not hang on the cross, oh Jesus,
do not hang on the cross 'til you die!
If I do not hang on the cross like a bird,
who will protect you from the flames of hell?

I will hang on the cross like a bird.
 
Do not let your heart be pierced, oh Jesus,
do not let your heart be pierced by executioners!
If I do not let my heart be pierced like a ripe fruit,
from whom will you drink the blood and water
that will heal you?

I will let my heart be pierced
like a ripe fruit.
 
Do not go to into the tomb, oh Jesus,
do not go into the tomb that they have dug!
If I do not go into the tomb
like a grain of wheat,
who will lift from your coffins your lifeless bodies?
I will go into the tomb to sleep there.
- The Days of the Lord
 
    Photo by Ruth Hamilton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 
 
Protect us, Lord, while we're awake
and when we nod asleep,
that wake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, find mercy in your peace...
 
Amen. 

Tonight's music is instrumental... 
I've chosen it with the hope 
that each of us might listen to it, 
imagining ourselves in the garden, with Jesus, 
praying with him...

No Words by The Vigil Project

If a video doesn't appear below, click here!


  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!