5/8/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 5/8

On Sundays, Night Prayer will focus on an element from the day's celebration of Mass. Tonight we reflect on Jesus, the Good Shepherd and all who shepherd us night and day, year after year...

Good Shepherd of us all, I thank you tonight 
for all the good shepherds in my life
and for all the ways you've shepherded me
through their love, their watchful presence,
their devotion and protection...

I thank you for my first shepherds, my parents;
I thank you for their warm embrace, 
for the shelter of their love
and for all they sacrificed 
for my happiness and welfare... 

And I thank you, too,
for all the other shepherds in my family:
brothers and sisters, grandparents,
aunts and uncles and cousins
who welcomed me warmly
and made me feel special
with that joy that only family can share...

I thank you for all the shepherds
who taught me in school,
in scouts and in sports,
who counseled, directed and guided me,
who shaped me and helped me grow and become
the person I am today...

I thank you for shepherds whose names I don't know, 
who even tonight stand in harm's way
in my town and around the world,
standing guard, keeping watch
that I might be safe and sleep until dawn,
free from worry and fear... 
 
And I thank you, Lord, 
for the all my shepherds whom you've called home,
especially those gone much too soon,
whose gentle shepherd's touch I miss,
whose presence abides, deep in my heart...

I thank you for all who shepherd me tonight
and hold me in the sheepfold of their prayer,
lifting my name and needs to you,
my good and gentle Shepherd,
Good Shepherd of us all...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep rest in your peace...

Amen. 

This setting of Psalm 23 always brings me much peace:
and I pray it shepherds you to that same peace...

Psalm 23 by John Rutter

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!



The Lord is my shepherd,
Therefore can I lack nothing,
He shall feed me in a green pasture
And lead me forth beside the waters of comfort,
He shall convert my soul,
And bring me forth in the paths of righteousness,
For his name's sake,
Yea, though I walk through the
Valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
For thou art with me,
Thy rod and thy staff comfort me,
Thou shalt prepare a table before me
Against them that trouble me,
Thou hast anointed my head with oil,
And my cup shall be full,
But thy loving kindness and mercy
Shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell In the house of the Lord, forever.

Good Shepherd by Duncan Grant

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!