6/18/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Saturday 6/18


On this eve of the feast of the Body and Blood of Christ, our prayer is a quote from Daniel Berrigan, SJ (in Love, love at the end). These words were important to me when I was studying to become a priest - in fact, this quote was in the program for my first Mass back in 1973 at Saint Richard Parish in Danvers, MA.  These words still stir my heart and I hope they'll touch your heart, too...

When I hear bread breaking, I see something else;
it seems almost as though God never meant us to do anything else. 
  
So beautiful a sound, 
the crust breaks up like manna 
and falls all over everything, 
and then we eat; bread gets inside humans.  

It turns into what the experts call “formal glory of God.”  

But don’t let that worry you.  

Sometime in your life, 
hope you might see one starved man,
the look on his face when the bread finally arrives.  
 
Hope you might have baked it or bought it
– or even needed it yourself.   
 
For that look on his face,
for your hands meeting his across a piece of bread, 
you might be willing to lose a lot, 
or suffer a lot 
– or die a little, even.  
..................................................................................

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 
 
One Bread, One Body by John Foley, SJ
 
If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!