7/1/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 7/1

My friend, John Hudson, pastor of Pilgrim Church in Sherborn, MA, created the video below for his congregation's prayer. I'm pleased to share it here as our Night Prayer as this holiday weekend begins.  (Note that our usual order of prayer is reversed this evening: the song comes first and then the prayer!)

If a video doesn't appear below, click here!


Oh beautiful, for heroes proved
In liberating strife
Who more than self, our country loved
And mercy more than life
America, America, may God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine
 
And you know when I was in school
We used to sing it something like this, listen here
 
Oh beautiful, for spacious skies
For amber waves of grain
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain
But now wait a minute, I'm talking about
America, sweet America
You know, God done shed his grace on thee
He crowned thy good, yes he did, in a brotherhood
From sea to shining sea
 
You know, I wish I had somebody to help me sing this
 
(America, America, God shed his grace on thee)
America, I love you America, you see
My God he done shed his grace on thee
And you oughta love him for it
Because he, he, he, he, crowned thy good
He told me he would, with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea
Oh Lord, oh Lord, I thank you Lord
(Shining sea)
 
..................................................................................

Protect our nation day by day
    and guide us to your truth, Lord;
set our hearts to work for justice
    for the poor and all in need...
 
Guide this independent nation, Lord,
    with wisdom, strength and purpose;
keep us mindful of your law of love
    and all that it demands...  

Keep vigil while while we sleep, Lord: 
    be our sentry through the night;
be the night light in our darkness
   and sweet blessing in our dreams...

Give us rest, sleep and peace, Lord, 
    'til the the light of day breaks through
and prepare us for tomorrow's course
    of sorrows, joys and grace...

Amen.
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!