8/14/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 8/14



On Sundays, Night Prayer will focus on an element from the day's celebration of Mass. Tonight we reflect on the story in today's first scripture, the plight of the prophet Jeremiah - and what his own people did to him!

             They took Jeremiah and threw him into the well,
                 letting him down with ropes.
            There was no water in the well 
- only mud -                     
                and Jeremiah sank into the mud...
 
I've not been thrown down a well, Lord
    - indeed, I never have been -
but your prophets all through time 
    and around the world have been
        jailed, tortured, banished and killed
for espousing the cause of peace,
    for speaking a word of truth,
        for raising the cry for justice...

Jeremiah has lived in every age, Lord,
    and he lives in our world today:
his cause is deemed disloyal,
    his word is mocked as foolishness,
        his cry is silenced by power...

As Jeremiah was raised from the well, Lord,
    help us lift up all those you send
to call us from conflict to peace,
    to speak a word of your wisdom
        and to rally us all to do what is just...
 
Help us recognize your prophets, Lord,
    in our homes and famlies,
    where we work and play,
    among friends and neighbors,
    in the public square,
    in the church and in government,
    and in any place, at any time
    when your word breaks through
    in mercy, grace and peace
    to save us from ourselves...
 
Protect us, Lord while we're awake
and watch over us while we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 
For the first time, Brian May and Queen make an appearance on Night Prayer!  The lyrics are not actually biblical but they resonate with scripture and faith.  Written in 1975, the language isn't inclusive but the message is strong and particularly so when one considers its source.  I believe the prophet Jeremiah (whom his people considered a mad man) would have loved this song...
 
The Prophet's Song by Brian May
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 
 
Oh-oh, people of the earth
"Listen to the warning, " the seer he said
Beware the storm that gathers here
Listen to the wise man
 
I dreamed I saw on a moonlit stair
Spreading his hand on the multitude there
A man who cried for a love gone stale
And ice-cold hearts of charity bare
 
I watched as fear took the old man's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
"I see no day, " I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
 
Ah-ah, people of the earth
"Listen to the warning, " the prophet he said
For soon the cold of night will fall
Summoned by your own hand
 
Ah-ah, children of the land
Quicken to the new life, take my hand
Fly and find the new green bough
Return like the white dove
 
He told of death as a bone white haze
Taking the lost and the unloved babe
Late too late, all the wretches run
These kings of beasts now counting their days
 
From mother's love is the son estranged
Married his own, his precious gain
The earth will shake, in two will break
And death all round will be your dowry
 
Ah-ah, people of the earth
"Listen to the warning, " the seer he said
For those who hear and mark my words
Listen to the good plan
 
Ah-ah-ah-ah
And two by two, my human zoo
They'll be running for to come
Running for to come out of the rain
Oh, flee for your life
Who heed me not let all your treasure make you
Oh, fear for your life
Deceive you not, the fires of hell will take you
Should death await you
 
Ah-ah, people can you hear me?
People can you hear me?
People can you hear me?
And now I know, and now I know
And now I know, I know, I know that you can hear me
And now I know, now I know
Now I know, now I know...
The earth will shake, in two will break
The earth will shake, in two will break
Death all around, around, around, around
Around, around, around, around
Now I know, now I know...
 
Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah
Listen to the wise, listen to the wise, listen to the wise
Listen to the wise, listen to the wise man
 
La-la
La-la-la-la (la-la)
La, la (la-la)

Come here (la, la)
I, you (Come here)
Come here (I, you)
I, you (Come here)
Come here (I, you)
I, you (Come here)
 
Ahh, aahh, ahh, aaahh
Listen to the man, listen to the man
Listen to the man, listen to the mad man
 
God give you grace to purge this place
And peace all around may be your fortune
Oh-oh, children of the land
Love is still the answer, take my hand
The vision fades, a voice I hear
"Listen to the madman"
 
Ooh, but still I fear and still I dare not
Laugh at the madman

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!