8/31/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 8/31

 
Every evening, Lord, 
the sun sets just a little earlier and soon enough,
too soon will Labor Day's horizon
eclipse these august days, prompting me to wonder:
    why must good times have an end?

Good times come too seldom
- or so it often seems - 
and when they do, they're here and then
- they're much too quickly gone...
 
And as wonderful as memories are,
they are, Lord, well, just memories...
 
Why must good times end, Lord?
And why are memories not enough
nor autumn's promised light:
    filtered through a filigree of autumn leaves, 
    gently, softly turning, falling, dying...

Why does none of this suffice to help me take my leave 
of summer's warmth and pace and peace?
 
My heart clings fast to summertime
but summer's letting go of me...
 
Of seasons there are four, Lord,
but I've known so many more
in just in my life alone:
    seasons of peace, seasons of strain;
    seasons of sadness, seasons of gain;
    seasons of sunlight, seasons of rain;
    seasons of comfort, seasons of pain;
    seasons of planting, seasons of grain;
    seasons of waiting a season to come
    just to break the seasons’ chain…
 
I should be grateful for the fall, Lord,
for your gentle preparation of creation and us all
for the fading, the chill and the dying winter brings...
 
No season ever changes, around me or within me,
but that you know first the difference, Lord,
the change will make in me...
 
Be with me, Lord, I pray,
in all the seasons of my life,
and in the seasons in between,
as when summer turns fall
and the turning's hard to bear...

Bless and heal my seasoned heart
and open me to changes
in the weeks and months ahead:
be my guide and walk beside me, Lord,
from summer into fall...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
God of All My Days 
    by Mark Hall and Jason Ingram of Casting Crowns

If a video doesn't appear below, click here! 
 

 
I came to You with my heart in pieces 
And found the God with healing in His hands 
I turned to You, put everything behind me 
And found the God who makes all things new 
I looked to You drowning in my questions 
And found the God who holds all wisdom 
And I trusted You and stepped out on the ocean 
You caught my hand among the waves
‘Cause You’re the God of all my days 
 
Each step I take You make a way 
And I will give You all my praise 
My seasons change, You stay the same 
You’re the God of all my days 
 
 I ran from You, I wandered in the shadows 
And found a God who relentlessly pursues 
I hid from You, haunted by my failure 
And found the God whose grace still covers me 
I fell on You when I was at my weakest 
And found the God, the lifter of my head 
And I’ve worshiped You and felt You right beside me 
You’re the reason that I sing
‘Cause You’re the God of all my days 
 
In my worry, God, You are my stillness 
In my searching, God, You are my answers 
In my blindness, God, You are my vision
In my bondage, God, You are my freedom 
In my weakness, God, You are my power 
You’re the reason that I sing 
‘Cause You’re the God of all my days 
 
In my blindness, God, You are my vision 
In my bondage, God, You are my freedom 
All my days


 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!