10/31/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Monday 10/31



It's Halloween, Lord!
 
Time to ponder the costumes we don the rest of the year,
when we outfit and dress ourselves
    to be someone or something we're not
    - or to hide the persons we are...

Some of our costumes hang in our closets,
the day-to-day clothing we wear
    to make ourselves more attractive,
    to conceal or highlight the shape we're in, 
    to show that we're up with the times
    or to distance ourselves from fads and trends...

But you, Lord, care little 
    for style and couture, color and cut, 
    old or new, hot or not,
    designer label or off the rack,
 
You look instead to our hearts
and are pleased when you find them naked:
    exposed to your healing touch,
    laid bare for you to swaddle us
    in your kindness, compassion and love...

As St. Paul reminds us, Lord:
    Clothe ourselves in heartfelt mercy
        and  put on garments of gentleness,
            humility and patience...
 
Strip me of all my pretense, Lord, 
    my desire to be who I'm not;
make me content to be and become
    the person I'm made and fashioned to be...
 
Clothe me in peace and outfit me 
    for the work that's mine to do
        for love of you and of my neighbor:
robe my heart in a garment of love
    and garb me in grace and peace...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
(Tonight's song draws its lyrics from Colossians 3:12-17
the text from St. Paul, quoted above)  
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!

Because You Are Chosen by John Michael Talbot



Because you are chosen 
Called to be holy 
Because you are the Lord’s beloved  
You must clothe yourself with kindness  
With heartfelt mercy 
In the meekness of humility  
 
So bear you now with one another  
And forgive as the Lord’s forgiven you
Over all these virtues
Bind them all together
In the Love of our Lord Jesus
 
Over all these virtues
Bind them all together
In the Love of our Lord Jesus
Over all these virtues
Bind them all together
In the Love of our Lord Jesus
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!