11/21/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Monday 11/21


Just yesterday, Lord, I posted my annual prayer,
    An Empty Chair at the Thanksgiving Table...
 
And then, this morning, came the news:
    my uncle, Ron, has left us 
    to seek his place at your table in heaven:
        a place with you and your angels and saints,
        a place with Ann, his beloved wife,
        with his parents and sisters and so many more
        whose names are known to you alone...
 
As you make room for one more, Lord, 
    there's an unfilled place at our table here,
    an empty space in our hearts
    -  an absence making our hearts grow fonder...
 
It's a place we cherish with love and affection,
    a seat now claimed by sorrow and loss,
    a hollow our memories rush to fill...
 
Please meet us right in that very place, Lord,
meet us there with amazing grace;
    gently wipe our tears away
        and fill our hearts with gratitude 
    for the gift of Ron and his faith in you,
        the love he gave and his life with us,
    a life we pray we'll share again 
        with him, with you 
            and all who've gone before us
    to claim the place you've set for us
        a chair at your Table in heaven...
 
Let the empty chairs at our table, Lord,
    fill our hearts with trust in your promise
and hope for the day when we'll all be one,
    in peace, together, for ever...
 
Protect us, Lord, while we're awake
and watch over us while we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 
Psalm 23 was a favorite of my uncle...
 
Shepherd Me, O God by Marty Haugen 
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, clcik here!


 

Shepherd me, O God, beyond my wants,
beyond my fears, from death into life.


God is my shepherd, so nothing shall I want,
I rest in the meadows of faithfulness and love,
I walk by the quiet waters of peace.

Gently you raise me and heal my weary soul,
you lead me by pathways of righteousness and truth,
my spirit shall sing the music of your Name.

Though I should wander the valley of death,
I fear no evil, for you are at my side,
your rod and your staff, my comfort and my hope.

You have set me a banquet of love in the face of hatred,
crowning me with love beyond my pow'r to hold.
Surely your kindness and mercy follow me all the days of my life;
I will dwell in the house of my God forevermore.

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

1 comment:

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!