11/27/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 11/27


On Sundays, Night Prayer will focus on an element from the day's celebration of Mass. Tonight's prayer riffs on the very familiar seasonal song,  O Come Emmanuel: Israel's plea for a savior to set them free.  Peter Hollens' arrangement here reveals the song's urgent, plaintive cry... As you listen to the music, reflect on how these words might be your own cry, your own prayer, in Advent 2022...  It might be helpful to listen to the song before the prayer - and then again after the prayer...

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!

O Come, Emmanuel by Peter Hollens

 
 
O come, O come, EmmanuelAnd ransom captive Israel
 
O come, O come, EmmanuelAnd ransom captive IsraelThat mourns in lonely exile hereUntil the Son of God appear
 
O come, Thou Day-Spring, come and cheerOur spirits by Thine advent hereDisperse the gloomy clouds of nightAnd death's dark shadow put to flight
 
O come, O come, Thou Lord of mightWho to Thy tribes, on Sinai's heightIn ancient times did give the lawIn cloud, and majesty, and awe

Rejoice! Rejoice!Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel Shall come to thee, O IsraelShall come to thee, O Israel

Help me see what holds me captive, Lord,
    and come with your grace to set me free...

Help me see how my heart's in exile, Lord,
    and come to rescue and bring me home...

Help me lift up my mourning for you to heal
    and come and anoint me again with joy...
 
Help me see what burdens and saddens my soul
    and help me to carry whatever I bear...
 
Help me see what clouds my trust and my hope
    and lead me out of the shadows, Lord... 

Help me see how often I'm weak and I fall
    and come with your strength to raise me up...

Help me hear the word of your law and your love
    and come to show me your path of life...

Help me pray for the grace to welcome you, Lord,
    when my heart is slow to open its door...

Help me trust that you are Emmanuel,
    God-with-me, my Savior, my ransom, my hope...
 
 Help me open my heart to your advent, Lord,
    help me welcome your presence, your mercy and peace...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch for you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.

O Come, Emmanuel by Peter Hollens



Advent Blessing  
    composed by Michael Joncas and Alan Hommerding
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!