12/31/22

A prayer for New Year's Eve


It's New Year's Eve, Lord, 
in a year that seemed much longer
than any year should be...
 
But last year's candle is burning low
and soon, at midnight, 
'twill be time to light a new one 
and to pray you'll light a flame of hope
deep within our hearts
where your Spirit's light 
burns ever bright,
where darkness is unknown...
 
I'll be glad to see the old year go
yet grateful, Lord, for all the ways
you helped me move from day to day,
through thick and thin,
through sorrow's tears and laughter's joy
to this night, this new year's eve
and its promise for tomorrow...
 
And I remember, Lord, all the times
when I forgot, ignored or missed
how you were right there by my side 
and, foolishly - I tried to make it on my own:
Lord, have mercy, 
Lord, forgive me,
Lord, have mercy...

But you never failed me, Lord:
you never failed to love me,
to pardon and forgive me
with grace so sweet and pure 
and always freely given...

Tonight I come with empty hands,
I haven't much to offer,
and anything I do have was first your gift to me...
 
Nurture in my soul, Lord, 
a desire for your wisdom,
a hunger for your truth
and a thirst for all that's holy...

Let me settle for nothing less 
than all you freely offer: 
the healing of my soul, 
the mending of my heart
and your light upon my path...
 
So I praise you Lord, my God
from whom all blessings flow
and pray your grace will fill me
in the year that lies ahead: 
make me worthy of your saving love,
and faithful to your word...

Wake my heart to this new year, Lord,
to 2023, and to all your grace and gifts:
the promise of your presence,
your mercy and your pardon,
your compassion and your love,
your healing and your peace...

Amen.

 

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!