12/18/22

Monday Morning Offering: 12/19

Coffee in the Morning by George Mendoza

Good morning, good God!

It’s almost that time, Lord,
when we give each other gifts
- on your birthday:
        please forgive us
        for getting that mixed up every year
        - and again this year!

So, there's lots of wrapping going on:
    paper and foil, gift bags and boxes,
    tags and tape, ribbons and bows…

Seems that everyone’s wrapped up in wrapping
so what I offer you this morning, Lord,
    are all the things that wrap me up
    and definitely need unwrapping...

• I get wrapped up, Lord, in little things
        while the big things go undone.
  Unwrap me, Lord, and keep me faithful 
        to what deserves my first attention...  
 
• I get wrapped up in things that waste my time
        and time is one of my most precious possessions.
  Unwrap me, Lord, and make me a better steward 
        of my days and nights, my work, my play and my rest…  
 
• I get wrapped up in fantasies and fears
        and leave untended the realities I just don't want to face.
   Unwrap me, Lord, and sharpen my vision
         of what’s real and what will help me truly grow…  
 
• I get wrapped up in what I want and hope to get,
        and in desire for what I can't or shouldn't have.
   Unwrap me, Lord, and give me a hunger 
        for what truly nourishes and satisfies...  
 
• I get wrapped up in having more, in having the most,
        in having the biggest, the newest, the best.
   Unwrap me, Lord, and help me give and give away:
         help me simplify and learn to do with less... 
 
• I get wrapped up in anger and hurt
        that sap my energy for reaching out.
  Unwrap me, Lord, and free my heart 
         to serve and be with others...
 
• And I often wrap myself up in - my self:
   I get all wrapped up in me:
        in my wants and in my worries,
        in my disappointments and self-pity...  
 
  Unwrap me, Lord, 
        and let me see the blessings that are mine: 
            your love, your word, your presence, 
            your mercy and your strength... 
 
Unwrap me, Lord, 
    so that others can know, share and enjoy my gifts... 
 
Unwrap me, Lord, 
    when I try to hide from you, 
        from your love
             and from the love of those around me...
 
I have Christmas gifts for others, Lord,
    but it’s your birthday that's coming
so I offer you an unwrapped heart,
    laid bare for you to touch and heal
        and mend and bless and wrap again
- but this time in your word and will,
    your gospel and your grace... 
 
Unwrap me, Lord, 
    I need your help
    because I can't unwrap myself... 
 
Amen.

Image source

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!