12/23/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 12/23



It's the penultimate day of Advent, Lord!
It's the eve of Christmas Eve!
It's the night before the Night Before!
 
Some might even be tempted to think or pray
    as if you'll be "born" on Sunday, December 25
but you broke into human history
    more than 2,000 years ago
when your Father spoke his Word of love
    with such power, love and grace
that his Word became flesh
    and you, Lord, came to dwell among us...

And you've come every day 
    and you've come every night,
you've come in every hour
    and you've come in every season
since first the angels sang your glory
    and shepherds came to look, to gawk,
        to wonder what your birth might mean...

You came into my life yesterday, Lord:
    did I see you or miss you?
 
You'll speak to me today, Lord:
    will I be listening - or just too busy?
 
You'll come into my life
    on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day:
        will I be lost in opening gifts?
        will I be grieving what I've lost?
    or will I find your grace again
        as I have so many times before?

Come, Lord Jesus, come into my life
    as you did yesterday, as you did today
        and as you will in every day to come...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me through the night
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
Tonight's music: 
    a simple but exquisite setting and performance 
        of a beautiful Advent hymn...
(The background video is also beautiful!) 
 
Creator of the Stars of Night
    9th century hymn performed by St. John Compline Choir

If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 

Advent Blessing  
    composed by Michael Joncas and Alan Hommerding
 

 

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!