12/19/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Monday 12/19


Mary and Joseph needed to journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem to register for the census.  In Biblical times, the distance they  had to travel was about 90 miles: going south along the flat lands of the Jordan River, then moving west over the surrounding hills of Jerusalem. The journey itself was difficult as they would have encountered wild animals and thieves along the way.  Since we have named December 25 as Jesus' birth date, it's safe to assume that they would have begun their journey today or tomorrow...

I can't even guess, Lord, 
how anxious and worried were Mary and Joseph
setting out on their trek to Bethlehem:
    four days passage through unfriendly country,
    Mary near ready to deliver her child,
    no family or friends for traveling companions
    and no one waiting at journey's end...

They must have been thinking,
    "Why this?  Why now?  We're really not ready!
     The last thing we want - and the worst time to do it!"

I know those feelings, Lord, 
I know what it's like to wonder:
    Why?  Why me? Couldn't this wait 'til later?
    Couldn't this wait for - never?
    Who's gonna help me?  I feel all alone!
    If only I didn't have to do
       -  just what I know I must do...
 
But then Mary and Joseph made it to Bethlehem
    - though not on their own...
 
You were with them, Lord - every step along the way:
    keeping them company,
    hearing their prayer,
    feeling their pain,
    keeping them from harm,
    leading and guiding them, night and day...
 
And when they arrived in David's home town,
    you revealed the reason for the journey they'd made,
    the mystery of your holy presence
    and your promise to be with them,
    always and forever...
 
Be with me on my journey, Lord,
    not just at its end, but all along the way...
 
Be with me and guide me,
    when I'm lost, confused 
        and just can't find my own way...
 
Be with me, Lord,
    be my protector when I'm in harm's way,
    my strength when I fear I can't go on,
    my companion when I'm feeling all alone...
 
Be with me, Lord 'til finally I arrive
   in whatever place you have led me;
then open up my eyes, my heart and mind
    to the mystery of why? why me? why now? 

And along the way, Lord, help me know
that I carry you always within me:
    you're my starting place, 
    and my destination;
    your path and mine are one...

I'm on my way now, Lord,
    to Christmas and New Year's
and from there - wherever
    your Spirit may draw me...

Where? Why? Why me? Why now?
    Help me trust, Lord, and follow
        wherever you lead...
    
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
When Joseph Went to Bethlehem  
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 

When Joseph went to Bethlehem, I think he took great care 
To place his tools and close his shop and leave no shavings there.
He urged the donkey forward then, with Mary on its back, 
And carried bread and goat cheese in a little linen sack. 
 
I think there at the busy inn that he was meek and mild 
And awed to be the guardian of Mary’s sacred child. 
Perhaps all through the chilly hours he smoothed the swaddling bands
And Jesus felt the quiet strength of Joseph’s gentle hands.  
 
And close beside the manger bed, he dimmed the lantern’s light 
And held the little Jesus close upon that holy night 
 
 
Advent Blessing  
    composed by Michael Joncas and Alan Hommerding
 



  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!