12/4/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 12/4



On Sundays, Night Prayer will focus on an element from the day's celebration of Mass.  Tonight we reflect on a verse found in today's gospel: 
    "A voice of one crying out in the desert, 
         'Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths.'"
 
Your one voice calls me, Lord:
    you speak to my heart
    in all its dry and barren places,

    in the wilderness my life can sometimes be...
 
You call me by name
    to prepare a way for you
    who come to make of my wilderness
    a lush and blooming garden...

You call me to change,
    to change my desires, my habits, my ways:
    to clear a smooth path
    for you to come to make your home in me...

You call me to make peace
    where I am, where I live,
    where I work and where I play
    with all I meet and know,
    whose paths cross mine each day...

Of all the voices 'round me, Lord,
    attune my ears to yours
 calling me to clear a path,
    a way into my heart...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch for you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.


It's hard to believe that it was 32 years ago that I sang lead vocal on Rachel Burckardt's beautiful Advent song, One Voice.  This piece was included on the album, Gross Santa's Yuletide Favorities - which isn't as weird as it sounds - follow the link!  Musicians for One Voice came from the Wood Harbor Ensemble and the choir of St. Ann University Parish in Boston where I served as a campus minister for Northeastern University and Emerson College from 1982-1991. (Apparently, I really am 75 years old!)

If a video doesn't appear below, click here! 



Advent Blessing  
    composed by Michael Joncas and Alan Hommerding
 

  

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!