12/7/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 12/7


Do you remember this line from the old Ivory Soap ads?
They promised us that Ivory Soap was:
Ninety-nine and forty-four one-hundredths percent pure!

This Night Prayer is all about purity,  just in time for tomorrow's 
feast of the Immaculate Conception - emphasis on "Immaculate!"

I looked up synonyms for purity 
and found that to be pure is to be:
    authentic
    bright
    natural
    total
    unalloyed
    plain
    real
    simple
    transparent
    true
    unadulterated
    clear
    complete
    fair
    flawless…

Would that these words more accurately described us and our purity!
We all fail in so many ways in living out this list of adjectives...
While none of us will ever be as pure as the Mother of Jesus
each of us can pray to be more pure than we are just now.

Let's pray…

Lord, help me be more pure:   
 
    pure in my thoughts

    pure in my deeds,

    pure in my speech,

    pure in my motives,

    pure in my intentions,

    pure in my relationships,

    pure in my imagination,

    pure in my desires,

    pure in my dreams,

    pure in my hopes,

    pure in my ambition

    pure in my works,

    pure in my choices,

    pure in my will,

    pure in my heart,

    pure in my mind,

    pure in my vision,

    pure in my love of you, O God,

    pure in my love of my neighbor,

    pure in my love of my self…  
 
That’s a lot of purity!  If it seems too much
    - even too much to pray for -
then remember the angel’s words to Mary:
    “Nothing is impossible with God...”

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Tonight's song is an old hymn, a beautiful lullaby...
 
O Purest of Creatures 
    performed by His Majesty's Musicians
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 

O purest of creatures! sweet Mother! sweet Maid!
The one spotless womb wherein Jesus was laid!
Dark night hath come down on us, Mother! and we
Look out for thy shining, sweet Star of the Sea!

Deep night hath come down on this rough-spoken world,
And the banners of darkness are boldly unfurled:
And the tempest-tost Church—all her eyes are on thee,
They look to thy shining, sweet Star of the Sea!

Earth gave Him one lodging; ’twas deep in thy breast,
And God found a home where the sinner finds rest;
His home and His hiding-place, both were in thee;
He was won by thy shining, sweet Star of the Sea!

O blissful and, calm was the wonderful rest
That thou gavest thy God in thy virginal breast;
For the heavens He left He found heaven in thee,
And He shone in thy shining, sweet Star of the Sea!

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!