12/11/22

Pause for Prayer: SUNDAY 12/11


This is Gaudete Sunday on the Church calendar, a day to rejoice that we're half-way through Advent and that much closer to Christmas.  Rejoice...  Joy can be elusive... So if joy's not right at hand today, perhaps I can tap my heart to remember joys forgotten...

I was watching some children play, Lord,
and they were having a very good time together:
    nothing special or out of the ordinary,
    just youngsters playing together,
    kids being kids,
    as only kids can be...

As I watched, I wondered, Lord,
    would they remember the joy of that moment
    tomorrow...  next week or next month...
    next year or years from now...

And I asked myself:
    how many moments of carefree play,
    how many moments of joy have I known
        -but long since then forgotten?
 
How many peaceful times
    are filed deep in my memories, Lord, 
        not exactly lost - but now beyond my reach?
 
How many joyful moments,
    now embedded, hidden in my heart,
        have made me who I am?

So often, Lord, I remember my troubles
    but forget what made me happy:
         my sorrows possess me,
         while joy slips through my fingers...

My childhood was long ago
     so help me remember, Lord, 
or at least trust the joy  
    of playful moments I've forgotten,
of all the times throughout my life
    when peace has ruled my heart,
    when grace has touched my soul,
    when joy has healed my sorrow...
 
Help me plumb again the depths
    of all the blessings, all the joys,
        remembered and forgotten,
    that have made me who I am,
    that live within me now,
    that give me hope in you
        from whom all joys and blessings flow... 

Amen.
   

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!