1/4/23

12 Days of Night Prayer for Christmas - 11


 
When do the Twelve Days of Christmas begin?   On Christmas Day itself - leading us to TWELFTH NIGHT, the eve of Epiphany, January 6.  Through these dozen days, Night Prayer will focus each evening on one of the many gifts the Christmas season brings us.  Tonight: the gifts of the Spirit...  No partridges in pear trees here - but you can sing my 12 days to the familiar tune!

On the eleventh day of Christmas,
the good Lord gave to me:
    Gifts of the Spirit,
    Jesus' hands to help me,
    God's Word abiding,
    Mercy after mercy,
    New Year beginning,
    Hope for tomorrow,
    - Friends as good as gold -
    Faith in God above,
    Angels sent from heaven,
    Shepherds keeping watch
    And a Child born in Bethlehem town!
 
Any wisdom I claim as my own, Lord,
    is your Spirit's gift to me:
        light and insight for my mind and heart...
 
 When I seek to understand what faith reveals
    your Spirit helps me trust
        in what I can't yet fully grasp...
        
When trying to decide and choose
    your Spirit's moral compass
        guides my path to find your truth...
 
Your Spirit's gift of courage
    gives the strength I need to follow you,
        to walk the way that leads me to your Cross...

Simply that I know you, Lord,
    is knowledge born of grace,
        of your Spirit's blessed anointing...
 
It's your Spirit's nudge that moves me
    to serve and worship you,
          my Creator and Redeemer...

To meet you in my prayer, Lord,
    is the Spirit's gift of reverence,
        of awe before your holy face...

Without your Spirit's gifts, Lord,
    I'd not seek you, I'd not find you,
        I'd not have the peace that only you can give...

It's your Spirit's many gifts, Lord, that
    quicken my faith, enlighten my thoughts
        and open me to sharing life with you...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep,
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.

Two songs for our prayer this evening:
   the first, choral and lush,
   the second a solo voice, a more contemporary sound...
 
If two videos don't appear below, click here!
 
Many Gifts, One Spirit by Allen Pote
 
 
Hymn of the Holy Spirit by Pat Barrett
 
 
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!