1/17/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 1/17


Over the years I've published a number of variations on this prayer in
January:in part, because it's seasonal and timely but perhaps in larger 
measure because I take such grateful delight in having written the simple
phrase, "between the holly and the palm!"

It's here again, Lord, this season, 
gray and charcoaled on the landscape of my heart, 
etched by the chill of long dark winter nights...

Every year there comes this time
between the holly and the palm:
    my wintry wait for ashes
    and Lent's deep purple shades,
this time between what's been and yet to be...

So much of life is in-between, Lord:
    in-between the times gone by
        and all that lies ahead;
    in-between the old and new,
        'tween hope and disappointment,
    in-between anticipation's wait
        and the peace of fulfillment...
 
I live between my ups and downs,
    my tear-stained cheeks and smiles;
between my past and my achievements
     and the work I've yet to do;
between the life I know so well
    and the promise of tomorrow;
between the things I clutch and cling to
    and all I scarce dare to dream... 
 
Because I'm in-between, Lord,
    always somewhere in-between,
make me mindful of the moment,
    help me keep it in today,
accepting things I can't change
    and changing things I can,
finding wisdom in between
    to give me patience with my past
        and hope for what's to come...

Be with me in this season
    gray and charcoaled in my heart,
be with me while I lie awake
    and when I fall asleep,
between the dusk and  dawn, Lord,
    twixt your mercy and your love...
 
Amen. 
 
One Day At A Time  
           performed here by Lynda Randle
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!

 
One day at a time, sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking of you
Give me the strength to do everyday
What I have to do
Yesterday's gone, sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine
Help me today, show me the way
One day at a time
 
I'm only human, I'm just a woman
Help me believe in what I could be
And all that I am
Oh, show me the stairway that I have to climb
Lord, for my sake, teach me to take
One day at a time
 
Refrain
 
Oh, do you remember
When you walked among men
Well, Jesus, you know
If you're looking below
That it's worse now than then
Oh, there's pushing and shoving
And it's crowding my mind
So, Lord, for my sake, teach me to take
One day at a time
 
Refrain

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!