2/22/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Ash Wednesday


Whatcha' got in mind, Lord?
What's your plan?
What are you going to do in my life this Lent?
Got some changes in store for me?
Some growing you want me to do?
Some unfinished business I need to wrap up?
Something new I need to begin?
 
I know I'm a work in progress, Lord,
and I know I'm your work in progress
so there's always more to do,
more to learn,
more to change,
more to give
and more to receive...

And I know that Lent has a way
of opening up my mind and my heart
and that you'll take advantage of every chance
to move me, lead me, guide me always closer
to becoming the person 
you made and call me to be...
 
I don't know where you're leading me,
I'm not sure where we're going, Lord,
but I trust you know the path
and desire nothing but my peace:
    so I place my hand in yours this Lent
    and say, "Show me the way!"

And I pray for the grace
to follow where you lead me...

Protect me as I walk your path
and watch over me while I sleep, Lord,
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

(I can't think of a better song for us to pray as we set out on our Lenten journey. These lyrics are a marvelous mixture of the psalms and a prayer of Thomas Merton (see below the lyrics) - all leading us to trust in  the Lord and his plan for us in these holy 40 days...
 
I Will Lift Up My Eyes by Tony Alonso
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 
It is time for me to move from my shelter of safety
to sail as a pilgrim over the waves of the sea
It is time to be still and to seek the son of Mary
time to rest, time to leave behind my fears
 
And I will not fear the storm though it rages around me
for slowly I am learning to place my trust in you,
to forgive every hurt and to loosen every burden
to let go and to follow where you lead
 
I will lift my eyes to the mountains
from where shall come my help
My help shall come from the Lord
so I'll walk in the light of the path set before me
for I know your love will show me the way
 
Though I know you have prepared a path for me to follow
I'll never know for certain that I follow where you lead
Still I trust that my desire to please you will guide me
and I trust that you will keep me from harm
 
I may stumble, I may fall and get lost on the journey
and my path will surely lead me 
through the shadow of death
Yet I will not fear the storm for you are ever with me
never leaving me to face my fears alone
 
Prayer of Thomas Merton
 
My Lord God,
    I have no idea where I am going. 
    I do not see the road ahead of me. 
    I cannot know for certain where it will end.
 
Nor do I really know myself 
    and the fact that I think I am following your will 
    does not mean that I am actually doing so.
 
But I believe that the desire to please you 
    does in fact please you.
 
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. 
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
 
And I know that if I do this 
    you will lead me by the right road, 
    though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore I will trust you always
    though I may seem to be lost
    and in the shadow of death.

I will not fear 
    for you are ever with me
    and you will not leave me to face my perils alone.


  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!