2/21/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 2/21



Let's see...
 
How long's it been since last I went to church 
    - for ashes on Ash Wednesday? 

Maybe the pandemic kept me away
    but churches are open now...
 
Maybe, for one reason or another,
    it's been a couple or 10 years 
        since I went to church for ashes...
 
If it's been a while - why is that?
When did I stop going for ashes?
Why did I stop going for ashes?
Was there a reason?
Will I go this year?
Why might I go this year?
Why not go this year? 
Why go any year?
Why ashes?
 
Well, let's be clear about one thing:
    getting ashes doesn't mean you're holy!
 
And getting ashes doesn't make you holy!

As a matter of fact, getting ashes means:
    you're not holy!
 
Ashes are for sinners...
 
Ashes are for people like me,
people who sometimes, even often,
    act without thinking,
    make poor choices,
    tell lies, 
    cheat and steal,
    break promises,
    take the wrong path,
    hurt other people - sometimes badly,
    forget to pray,
    make selfish decisions
    and (often) do the wrong thing:
        sometimes little wrongthings
        and sometimes big wrong things...
 
Ashes are for people like me,
    people who screw up,
    who forget what's really important,
    who let things slide
    - even a lot...
 
Ashes are for folks like me
    who sometimes hurt others,
    who often hurt others,
    who sometimes even hurt the people they love...
 
Ashes are for imperfect, broken people,
for people like me 
    who let things get out of control
    and who sometimes do the wrong thing
    even when they know what the right thing is...
 
Ashes are for people like me
    people who take too many short cuts,
    lay down on the job,
    check out when they need to check in,
    fail to show up when they're needed,
    let other people down - big time
    and disappoint themselves more often
        than they want to admit... 

Ashes are for people just like me
    people who gossip about others
    who fail to defend those in need of support,
    who keep silent when they ought to speak up...
 
Ashes for sinners,
    for people just like me...

Going to church and getting ashes
probably won't turn my life around overnight
but it could be a step, 
    even just one step,
    in a new direction,
    on a path I sometimes think I want to follow
    but have a hard time finding,
        - a path I often stray from...
 
Getting ashes this Wednesday
just might be the beginning
    of mending my relationship with God,
    my relationships with some people in my life
    - my relationship with myself...
 
Getting ashes this Wednesday might help me
take an honest look at things in my life:
    things I really need to think about,
    things I need to pay attention to,
    things I need to let go of,
    things I need to embrace,
    things I need to change,
    things and relationships I need to
        reconcile, mend and heal...  
 
Getting ashes this Wednesday might feel kinda strange,
and I might be a little embarrassed
when others see my smudged forehead:
    and what if they make fun of me
    or ask me what it means
    or why I did it?
Well,  I could just be honest, 
I could say I did it because: 
    I've been thinking about my life,
    taking a little personal inventory,
    considering, trying, to make some changes
    and I thought this might be a time,
    a way,
    a place to start...

Me in church?
Me getting ashes?
    Hey! It could happen!

I know it won't hurt
and it just might be good to give it a try,
to give it a chance:
    to give God and me a chance
    at a new beginning...

So, Lord, even if it's been a long time
    since the last time I got ashes,
I'm going to church tomorrow:
    to say a prayer,
    to get my forehead smudged,
    to reconnect with you
    and take a first step on a path
    I've been wanting, even needing, to walk... 
 
And since I know that by tomorrow
I'll think of a dozen reasons not to go to church:
    give me a nudge, Lord, a shove,
    a kick in the butt or whatever it takes
    for me to take that first step,
    on Ash Wednesday...    

See you tomorrow, Lord!

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me as I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 
We Rise Again from Ashes by Tom Conry
 
If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 


We rise again from ashes, from the good we've failed to do. 
We rise again from ashes, redeemed, O Lord, by you. 
Our penance, Lord, our sorrow, our grieving hearts renew, 
an offering of ashes, an offering to you 
 
We offer you our failures, we offer you attempts, 
the gifts not fully given, the dreams not fully dreamt. 
Our stumblings, give direction, our visions, wider view, 
an offering of ashes, an offering to you 
 
Then raise us up from ashes, your healing ease our pain. 
Though spring has turned to winter, and sunshine turned to rain, 
your rain will nurture growing, and create our world anew 
an offering of ashes, an offering to you. 
 
Give thanks to God the Father, who gave us life and breath. 
Give thanks to Christ our Savior who saved us by his death, 
who, with the Holy Spirit, creates the world anew 
from an offering of ashes, an offering to you. 
 
 
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!