3/20/23

Pause for Prayer: MONDAY 3/20 - Saint Joseph Day


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
March 19 is the feast of Saint Joseph but since yesterday was the Fourth Sunday of Lent, Joseph's day is transferred to March 20.
 
 Over 2,000 years ago, when Christ was about to be born, only Mary and Joseph knew the whole story of what was about to happen.... I can easily imagine Mary asking,  “Joseph… are you ready for this?”

We know there was at least one moment when Joseph was not ready for this: when he was ready only to quietly break off his betrothal to Mary - but then an angel spoke to him in a dream and said, “Joseph, be not afraid…”

Be not afraid – of what?  Be not afraid of taking Mary into his home as his wife? Of caring for a child he knew he had not fathered? 
 
Yes, all of that..  but so much more!  The angel was telling Joseph, "Be not afraid of how the mystery of God is weaving itself into your life, into your relationship with Mary and into your whole future. Be not afraid, Joseph, of how the mystery of God will touch your life, shape your life, turn your life around and stand it on its head!"

Like Joseph, all of us face times when God has allowed things to happen or has allowed things not to happen, that intimately touch, shape and turn our lives around in ways we never dreamed would happen, in ways we wish had never happened, in ways we prayed would never happen...

And in all of this the word to us is precisely the angel’s word to Joseph in his dream:  
    "Be not afraid because in everything, and in all things - God is with you...”

"Joseph, are you ready for this?"
  To be ready is to renew our faith, our trust, in all the ways the mystery of God’s presence is weaving itself into our lives: touching and shaping and turning our lives around in ways we had never have imagined, dreamed or asked for.  And most of all, to be ready is to trust that God is with us in everything and in all things...

Take a moment this morning to imagine Joseph's doubts, his anticipation, his anger… his regrets, his fears, his wonder, his confusion, his awe… 
And, imagine yourself in Joseph's dream...  Imagine Joseph putting his fears aside and handing his troubles over to God...

Pause for Prayer
 
I come to you this morning, Lord,
    with a heart sometimes ready, sometimes not so ready,
        to trust you, follow you, love you...

My problems, my worries, my burdens
    sometimes loom larger than life 
and back me into corners where I feel alone 
    and I wonder where you've brought me,
        where you'll lead me - even if you're still with me...

Lord, my heart needs a dream, an angel, a message
    reminding me not to be afraid... 
 
Remind me as you reminded Joseph
    that with you I can face all things,
        accept all things, do all things,
            endure all things...

Especially when my life and my heart
    are spun around and upside down;
when my sense of direction fails me;
    when I fear the path I'm walking,
remind me then, Lord, not to be afraid,
    to trust you're by my side
and that with you I can be ready 
    for whatever comes my way...

I come this morning, Lord, 
    with a heart sometimes ready 
        and sometimes not so ready,
 but ready or not, Lord 
    - here I come!
And here I am and here I stand
    in need of your love and your strength
        today and every day of my life...
 
Saint Joseph, pray for me and watch over me 
    as you cared for Jesus in your arms and in your home...

Amen.

This song is about Joseph and his circumstances
but all of us might relate to this line in the refrain:
    "Father tell me where I fit into this plan of yours..."
 
Jsoeph's Song by Michael Card
 

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 


How could it be, this baby in my arms 
Sleeping now, so peacefully 
The Son of God, the angel said 
How could it be?
 
Lord I know He's not my own 
Not of my flesh, not of my bone 
Still Father let this baby be 
Son of my love
 
Father tell me where I fit into this plan of yours 
How can a man be father to the Son of God 
Lord for all my life I've been a simple carpenter 
How can I raise a king, How can I raise a king ?
 
He looks so small, His face and hands so fair 
And when He cries the sun just seems to disappear 
But when He laughs it shines again 
How could it be? 
 
Father tell me where I fit into this plan of yours 
How can a man be father to the Son of God 
Lord for all my life I've been a simple carpenter 
How can I raise a king, How can I raise a king?

How could it be, this baby in my arms 
Sleeping now, so peacefully 
The Son of God, the angel said 
How could it be?

  

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!