3/5/23

Pause for Prayer: SUNDAY 3/5

         Mount Tabor: perhaps climbed by Jesus and his friends



                                                                             



Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother,
and led them up a high mountain by themselves...
 
That's how today's gospel begins, Lord
and I'm wondering how that day started...
    Did you wake your friends early
        and tell them they were going on a hike?
    Did they  come along willingly
        or try to talk you out of it?
    Did they ask the reason for the climb
        - and how did you answer them? 

And how might I have responded
    had I been there with Peter, James and John?
Would I have jumped at the chance
    to spend the day with you?
Or would I have begged off,
    claiming to be too busy to join you?
Would I have trusted you
    and gone with the flow
or hung back, trailing behind,
    not sure of what might lie ahead?
Would I have finished the climb
    and rested with you on the mountain top?
And how would I have responded
    had you shown me yourself more fully
        than ever before I had known you?
Would I have been in awe or fearful?
    confused or grateful?  overcome or elated?
If I, like your friends, became frightened
    would I have trusted when you told me
        to not be afraid?
And when you spoke of rising from the dead:
    would I have understood?
    would I have believed?
    would I have found hope in your words?

Interesting questions!
But not nearly as interesting as these, Lord:
    When you wake me this morning
        will I get up and follow where you lead me?
    As this day goes by will I stay by your side,
        no matter how steep the path we walk?
    Will I take time today, to rest with you,
        in prayer, in silence, just the two of us?
    Will I open my heart to your presence now
        when you invite me to know you more fully?
    Will I trust, day and night, and not be afraid
        of all and whatever may come my way?
    In the hardest of times will my faith assure me
        that with you I can rise above all my fears,
            that with you I can rise from death?
 
I don't know where  your Spirit will lead me today,
    I don't know, Lord, what heights we may scale.
I don't know how I'll need to trust you today
    or if I'll be tempted to run from your side.
I don't know how today you'll show me your mercy
    or call and command me to live by your word.
But I know you'll be there, all day and all night,
   to raise me up in your saving arms...
 
Be with me today, Lord,
    and give me the strength and faith I need
        to follow where you call me...
 
Amen.  

 

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!