4/1/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Saturday 4/1



What was it like for you, Lord?
 
What thoughts were on your mind
    as you went to sleep one night
knowing that the next day
    the crowds would cheer and welcome you
and by week's end condemn you
    to suffer and to die for them
        whose sins your mercy pardons?

What was it like for you, Lord,
    with friends so weak in faith
and fickle in their loyalty
    to you and to your word? 
 
What was it like for you, Lord,
    to bear the cross, the tree of life,
and carry on your shoulders
    the sins of humankind?
    
What was it like for you, Lord,
    to know you'd be abandoned,
scourged, stripped and crucified,
    mocked, taunted, crowned with thorns
        and left alone to die? 

What's it like for you, Lord,
    this night before Palm Sunday
to hear the prayer that rises
    from my weak, unfaithful heart;
to know the weight of all my sins,
    past, present - yet to come -
to bear upon your sacred heart
    the guilt that should be mine,
to find it in your mercy, still,
    to pardon and forgive?

What's it like for you, Lord,
    to feed me with your body
now broken in your memory,
    as bread, your life for me?

What's it like for you, Lord,
    to bathe me in your blood
now poured into a holy cup
    to slake my thirst for life?

What it's like for me, Lord,
    is peace and saving grace
in a heart so undeserving
    of your mercy and your love...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
The music for reflection tonight is instrumental,
background for reflecting on Palm Sunday:
    what it was like for Jesus
        and what it's like for you...

 Crucifixion by John Debney
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 
  


SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!