4/16/23

Pause for Prayer: SUNDAY 4/16

Still Doubting by John Granville Gregory

(This weekend's gospel tells the story of Doubting Thomas)

Thomas was a doubter, Lord,
    and sometimes - I'm a doubter, too...

Sometimes I doubt
    your love for me,
    your care for me,
    your word to me,
    the mercy and the peace
    you offer me... 

And I often doubt myself, Lord...
 
Oh, others may believe in me
    but I often second-guess my self
though doubt can back me into corners

    and leave me short on hope,
though doubt can blind me to reality
     staring me in the face,
though doubt can render void
    any wisdom I may have,
though doubt can steal the truth I know,
    depend upon and cherish...

Oh yes, doubt can be a devil
when an angel's grace is what I need... 

Thomas was a doubter
    'til he saw your suffering's wounds,
  before believing in your glory,
    risen, present to his touch...
 
Sometimes it's my own wounds, Lord,
that keep me from believing;
    you're always there, right by my side,
        you always have my back
and even in my doubt
    your gift is always healing peace...

Thomas needed to see
your suffering's wounds, Lord:
    don't let my wounds,
        my pain and loss, my suffering,
    keep me from discovering,
        discerning and delighting in
            your pardon and your peace...

Help me look with Thomas, Lord,
    upon your suffering's wounds
to remind me you're no stranger
    to what suffering may be mine...

Remind me how my own pain
    marks just the very place
where you, Lord, come to meet me,
    to mend and heal my soul, my doubts,
        to lead me to your peace...

Like Thomas, I'm a doubter, Lord,
    help me like Thomas come to faith
        and cry, "My Lord and God!"

Amen.

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!