5/10/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 5/10



Seems I'm on something of a cleaning spree, Lord! 
First it was my car, 
    then the cabinet under my bathroom sink,
        and today my bedroom closet...
 
Could be the season - spring cleaning and all -
    but I believe it runs much deeper than that...
 
When I learn to abide the clutter around me,
    as happens when winter settles within,
a lingering lethargy haunts my heart,
    a peculiar apathy slows my pace, 
        an unbidden boredom brews my moods
as indifference to prayer, heedless of grace,
    diverts and distracts my attention to you
        and leaves me bereft of the very peace
            I hunger, thirst and long for...

But then your Spirit stirs within - or better yet:
    then I acknowledge, I recognize, I open myself
        to your holy whisper, your gentle touch,
    rousing my soul and waking me
        to your presence, your grace, 
            your mercy and peace...

And upon my waking there comes the desire, 
    the urge, the itch, the need, the drive
to clear a space, to make more room  
    to sweep away the debris and tangles
        littering winter's withered path...
 
And that, sweet Lord, is springtime
    - the springtime of grace within me -
a season your Spirit quickens and sparks
   to cleanse and refresh, to lift and raise up
all that's inside me longing for you,
    all you desire and long for in me...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
Two songs for prayer this evening - quite different!
1) A reflective instrumental (piano)
    to serve as background for your personal prayer. 
2) An upbeat piece, not an evening lullaby
    but a song that fits this evening's theme. 
 
If a widget and video don't appear below, click here!
 
Hymn of Spring by Jon Schmidt


 
Springtime by Chris Renzema
 
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!